[keycloak-user] Sub-resource authentication (edge case)

Eric Wittmann eric.wittmann at redhat.com
Fri Dec 12 13:18:51 EST 2014

Well, my understanding is that when configuring via the subsystem in
wildfly, BASIC was the way to go.  That said, I don't have a particular
preference.

But is that detail perhaps beside the point?

The /api/* endpoint works exactly as you have described.  In
standalone.xml I've configured it to enable both bearer token and basic
auth.  So requests can be sent to /api/* with the Authorization header
set (bearer token and basic auth credentials both work fine).

The problem comes when sending a request to /gateway/*, which is just a
servlet.  I can successfully send a request to /gateway/* without an
Authorization header.  This works (unauthenticated access).  However if
I send a request to /gateway/* with an Authorization header, then
keycloak attempts to authenticate.  Even though the web.xml doesn't
indicate that /gateway/* should be protected.

I was expecting any *unprotected* resources to simply pass through any
Authorization information, not attempt to actually process it.

Again, this is perhaps an incorrect expectation on my part.

-Eric