[keycloak-user] keycloak and open id connect

J Coder jcoder at superheromail.com
Thu Feb 27 22:42:28 EST 2014

After spending some time reading about keycloak and the open id connect specification (seems that it was just finalized yesterday), I am getting the impression that keycloak and open id connect are competing technologies. They seem very similar in implementation since they are both build on top of OAuth 2 and JWT, while solving a similar problem, which is that OAuth 2 on it's own is an authorization framework and not an authentication mechanism.

My assumptions could very well be incorrect, as I haven't spent enough time digging into both offerings to assert the above with any sort of certainty.

Bill (et al), would you kindly address my concerns as outlined above and perhaps explain why they are or aren't competing technologies, how they may compliment each other or how they could be used together in either an enterprise (closed environment) or web (open social environment) setting?

Thanks a lot for your time.