[keycloak-user] Migrating Users Database

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Thu May 15 04:13:51 EDT 2014

At the moment we have an Authentication SPI that will let you easily authenticate users with your existing database of users. The first time a new user logs in using this approach a user will be pulled in to the Keycloak database. There's no documentation for this feature yet, but look at the SPI at https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/tree/master/authentication/authentication-api and the implementation that uses the Keycloak model itself to authenticate at https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/tree/master/authentication/authentication-model.

In the future we plan to provide a Sync SPI that will take this one step further and let you sync users (and roles) to/from an existing database.

However, if you plan to completely replace your current authentication system the cleanest solution may be to import your current user database into Keycloak once and for all. If you're interested in this approach let me know.