[keycloak-user] Recommendations for protecting REST service with bearer token and basic auth

Stian Thorgersen stian at redhat.com
Mon Nov 24 04:30:59 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----

There's a pretty big difference. Offline access gives applications permissions to act on behalf of a user, while service accounts allows users to act on behalf of themselves.

Offline access is not the way to go for your use-case. We should add some sort of service accounts to Keycloak, they would:

* Enable authenticating with secret, certificate or jwt/jws (also shouldn't require a client to authenticate twice)
* Probably have different semantics for user sessions. It makes sense that a regular user is logged-out after a few days, but does that make sense for an service account?

I'd say a service account should be a "special" user rather than something completely different.

You can get this use-case to work relatively well with Keycloak as is for now though. Just use a regular user with a longish random password (or even better set the password to the client secret). Your bash script will have to be able to deal with obtaining a token through the direct grant mechanism in either case, and it'll also have to deal with expiration of tokens and refreshing tokens.

Long term it may even make sense to allow KC to manage registration of devices like this. A node could generate a certificate, post some info to Keycloak to request authenticating, then an admin could grant the access. This same mechanism could be useful for IoT.