[keycloak-user] CatalinaUserSessionManagement: Session not present or already invalidated

Scott Rossillo srossillo at smartling.com
Fri Apr 3 15:21:10 EDT 2015

Ok, so a few followups. Just to be clear, here’s what I’m trying to do and
the outcomes of each against 1.2.0.Beta1:

1. (Original scenario) Log user out from KC console (Users > [user]
Sessions).
Result: This still fails with the exception,
"org.keycloak.adapters.tomcat.CatalinaUserSessionManagement.logoutSession
Session not present or already invalidated.”

The exception thrown here is an NPE as manager.findSession(httpSessionId)
failed to find the session. Interestingly, the session is still valid and
the ID passed into the manager is correct. Furthermore, while debugging I
can see that manager.findSession() looks up the session in a hash map.
Interestingly, the session id (key) is there, but the value (session) is
null.  Maybe this is a Tomcat bug.  Using Tomcat 8.0.18, will test with
8.0.21.

2. (Second scenario) Application logout.
Documentation 8.10. Logout (
http://docs.jboss.org/keycloak/docs/1.2.0.Beta1/userguide/html/ch08.html#d4e1152)
say you can either call HttpServletRequest.logout() or redirect
tohttp://auth-server/auth/realms/{realm-name}/tokens/logout?redirect_uri=encodedRedirectUri.

However, you have to do both.

Call only .logout() and the KC token is still valid and user can access app
with a new session (it will just redirect to KC, see KC session is valid
and grant access).

Call only auth-server/…/logout and the Tomcat session remains valid. I
would have thought that calling the auth-server’s logout endpoint would
broadcast logout events to logged in applications, but it doesn’t.

I’ll file a JIRA for the second case and continue investigating the first
scenario with a newer Tomcat release.

Best,
Scott