[keycloak-user] User attribute value length in SQL database

Tair Sabirgaliev tair.sabirgaliev at bee.kz
Mon Aug 10 04:54:05 EDT 2015

Hi,

When configuring Keycloak to use Active Directory we found that some
attributes could not fit into user_attributes.value column in Postgresql.
The problematic values are Cyrillic text. As I suspect, they are encoded
using ASCII charset, thus get longer and don’t fit into default 255 length.
Workaround was to change the column data type:

alter table user_attribute alter COLUMN value type text;

Is this the right thing to do considering database evolutions when
migrating from version to version? Can this workaround be incorporated
into Keycloak codebase? At least for Postgresql it is considered safe
performance-wise, references here:

1. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4848964/postgresql-difference-between-text-and-varchar-character-varying
2. http://www.depesz.com/2010/03/02/charx-vs-varcharx-vs-varchar-vs-text/

Thank you!