[keycloak-user] Relationship of Groups to Roles?

Marc Boorshtein marc.boorshtein at tremolosecurity.com
Fri Dec 11 06:57:39 EST 2015

On Dec 11, 2015 6:48 AM, "Marek Posolda" <
> I am starting on adding LDAP Group Mapper to Keycloak and it will be
(hopefully) available in 1.8. Mapper will allow you to specify in which DN
are your groups and in which DN(s) are your roles (LDAP RoleMapper is
already available, but I am planning some changes to 1.8, but it should
remain backwards compatible).

Very nice, but this is so a legacy application can use keycloak via ldap.
It would be great if an application that only knows how to speak ldap could
use keycloak for authorization information. You can tell the app to look at
my virtual directory which in turn would make the web services calls. If I
use an http/2 implementation it would scale well too.

> So for your LDAP tree example, if you configure mappers like:
> - Group Mapper: ou=groups,ou=keycloak
> - Role Mappper for realm roles: ou=roles,ou=keycloak
> - Role Mapper for client roles of client "app1":
ou=app1,ou=roles,ou=keycloak

> you will be able to map the environment. And you don't need to care about
the names of roles, groups etc. because:
> - LDAP group "cn=MyGroup,ou=groups,ou=keycloak" will be automatically
treated as Keycloak group
> - LDAP group "cn=myrole,ou=users,ou=keycloak" will be treated as Keycloak
realm role
> - LDAP group "cn=anAppSpecificRole,cn=app1,ou=roles,ou=keycloak" will be
treated as client role of "app1" client