[keycloak-user] Replace use of Infinispan with User Sessions SPI ?

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Mon Dec 14 10:55:28 EST 2015

On 14/12/15 15:58, Bill Burke wrote:

> On 12/14/2015 5:01 AM, Niko Köbler wrote:
>> Hi Marek,
>>
>>> Am 14.12.2015 um 08:50 schrieb Marek Posolda <mposolda at redhat.com
>>> <mailto:mposolda at redhat.com>>:
>>>
>>> Btv. what's your motivation to not use infinispan? If you afraid of
>>> cluster communication, you don't need to worry much about it, because
>>> if you run single keycloak through standalone.xml, the infinispan
>>> automatically works in LOCAL mode and there is no any cluster
>>> communication at all.
>> My current customer is running his apps in AWS. As known, multicast is
>> not available in cloud infrastructures. Wildfly/Infinispan Cluster works
>> pretty well with multicast w/o having to know too much about JGroups
>> config. S3_PING seams to be a viable way to get a cluster running in AWS.
>> But additionally, my customer doesn’t have any (deep) knowledge about
>> JBoss infrastructures and so I’m looking for a way to be able to run
>> Keycloak in a cluster in AWS without the need to build up deeper
>> knowlegde of JGroups config, for example in getting rid of Infinispan.
>> But I do understand all the concerns in doing this.
>> I still have to test S3_PING, if it works as easy as multicast. If yes,
>> we can use it, if no… I don’t know yet. But this gets offtopic for
>> Keycloak mailinglist, it’s more related to pure Wildfly/Infinispan.
>>
> seems to me it would be much easier to get Infinispan working on AWS
> than to write and maintain an entire new caching mechanism and hope we
> don't refactor the cache SPI.

+1

I am sure infinispan/JGroups has possibility to run in non-multicast
environment. You may just need to figure how exactly to configure it. So
I agree that this issue is more related to Wildfly/Infinispan itself
than to Keycloak.

You may need to use jgroups protocols like TCP instead of default UDP
and maybe TCPPING (this requires to manually list all your cluster
nodes. But still, it's much better option IMO than rewriting UserSession
SPI)