[keycloak-user] To LDAP or NOT?

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Dec 22 15:01:57 EST 2015

You can plug LDAP into Keycloak as user federation provider (See
Keycloak docs), but still Keycloak also needs to store users in it's
internal database. That's because Keycloak has various user's internal
metadata specific to it's logic. So usually just some parts of user are
stored in LDAP (you can control with LDAP mappers what exactly), but all
the other stuff is used in Keycloak database.

Integrating Keycloak with LDAP is useful especially in case that you have:
- Existing user base stored in LDAP
- Other systems or applications, which are compatible with LDAP and
needs to read user informations from there

If none of those is applicable for you, then it's best to skip LDAP and
just use Keycloak internal database. There is no need to store info
about user accounts in 2 places if there is no reason for that.

Marek