[keycloak-user] Upgrading is a giant pain

Dean Peterson peterson.dean at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:53:02 EDT 2015

I wish Keycloak had a one button click mechanism for upgrading the
application.  I use Discourse (http://www.discourse.org/) for messaging in
my application.  I run Keycloak inside a Docker container just like
Discourse.  Discourse gives me an admin landing page that tells me every
time I log in if I am up to date.  If I am not, a little sad face tells me
I need to upgrade.  All I have to do to upgrade is click a button and
everything happens automatically.  The data is migrated, the docker
container is updated and the application is redeployed.  It never fails and
takes 5 minutes.  Every time I need to upgrade Keycloak it is a month long
ordeal.  The database migration never works.  I always have to export the
data as json, then upload the file after I manage to get a fresh install of
the latest version up and running.  I understand Keycloak has a lot of
parts and I really like it, but I wish the upgrade process would get some
attention.  It is a very painful process at the moment.