[keycloak-user] Upgrading is a giant pain

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Fri Jul 10 13:39:04 EDT 2015

Yeah, migration is something we will fully nail down before we go into
product.  The project has been moving too fast and we still have a lot
of features to get in this year.

That being said, I did read some of your email history.  I don't think
you should expect migration to work with snapshots from master or from
betas and alphas though.  I know I've changed the data model multiple
times in master prior to doing a release.

On 7/10/2015 12:53 PM, Dean Peterson wrote:
> I wish Keycloak had a one button click mechanism for upgrading the
> application.  I use Discourse (http://www.discourse.org/) for messaging
> in my application.  I run Keycloak inside a Docker container just like
> Discourse.  Discourse gives me an admin landing page that tells me every
> time I log in if I am up to date.  If I am not, a little sad face tells
> me I need to upgrade.  All I have to do to upgrade is click a button and
> everything happens automatically.  The data is migrated, the docker
> container is updated and the application is redeployed.  It never fails
> and takes 5 minutes.  Every time I need to upgrade Keycloak it is a
> month long ordeal.  The database migration never works.  I always have
> to export the data as json, then upload the file after I manage to get a
> fresh install of the latest version up and running.  I understand
> Keycloak has a lot of parts and I really like it, but I wish the upgrade
> process would get some attention.  It is a very painful process at the
> moment.

Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat
http://bill.burkecentral.com