[keycloak-user] How to implement long user sso sessions with reauthentication for important actions?

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Thu Nov 12 08:39:49 EST 2015

On 12 November 2015 at 14:15, Vlastimil Elias <velias at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to use long session authentication mechanism known from many
> sites like google. facebook, linked in etc.
> It is about really long user SSO sessions (eg. weeks or even months)
> with reauthentication for important actions when last authentication
> timestamp is older than some limit.
>
> Is this somehow possible with current Keycloak server and Keycloak
> adapters?
>
> I see few subquestions in this problem for our use:
>
> *****
> open-id connect protocol defines few auth request parameters to support
> this use case, mainly max_age or prompt=login. Are they correctly
> implemented in Keycloak server?

We don't have support for max_age and we only support prompt=none so these
would have to be added

> *****
> Wildfly/EAP adapter - is it possible and is there some example how to
> use "reauth if auth is older than 30min" action in Java app secured by
> this adapter? Or is info about last auth timestamp somehow available in
> the app?

We don't set auth_time claim ATM so answer is no

> *****
> Keycloak user account application itself - it is part of the Keycloak
> server, but it contains sensitive actions which typically require
> reathentication in this long session scheme (password change, email
> change, ...). Is it somehow possible to configure Keycloak to force
> timeout reauth for this app?

Not at the moment - but if we add what you want it would also make sense to
add that. Would need to be configurable through the admin console. Would
also be nice to have the same for the admin console itself.