[keycloak-user] Email is unique within one realm

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Thu Nov 26 07:13:03 EST 2015

On 26 November 2015 at 12:18, Sebastian Olscher <
sebastian.olscher at traveltainment.de> wrote:

> Unfortunately this would also not solve the original issue: we are
> handling these accounts like all other accounts and using standard Keycloak
> features which all bases on the email address. Would it be a smaller effort
> to handle this check on software level? You can configure the uniqueness of
> the email address in each realm, check this on software level and delete
> the unique index in the database. Would that be manageable?

We can't guarantee that a email is unique without a constraint, as
otherwise there's always a window where duplicates could be added. We can't
remove the constraint either as the constraint applies to all realms, but
further we can't change the db schema based on configuration options on a
realm.

We would need to have a separate field in the db for non-unique email
addresses. That's not really a big problem I think, but it would still be a
fair bit of work to implement. We'd also need to have an option on a realm
on what attribute to use as username, options should be username/email,
username or email.

You can add a feature request, but ATM we're stretched rather thin so it
would be a while until we could implement it. Unless you are willing to
contribute it though? If you are then we should discuss how it should be
done, and also need to double check if there's any problems in adding it.