[keycloak-user] Guidelines Load- / Stress-Testing Keycloak

Thomas Darimont thomas.darimont at googlemail.com
Fri Apr 1 07:53:04 EDT 2016

Hello group,

has anyone already stress tested a Keycloak deployment?

The Keycloak Testsuite contains a rudimentary stress test for login/logout
[0],

but we were wondering whether someone has already done more thorough
testing here that they are willing to share.

We're looking into stress testing Keycloak with gatling [1] to get a sense
for when Keycloak falls over and some information about JVM memory
requirements during high load.

Furthermore, are there any suggestions for use-cases that should be tested
in particular, e.g.:

   -

   Simple Page Invocations (Unauthenticated, Authenticated)
   -

      -

      Logout
      -

      Registration
      -

      Account Page

   -

   Complex flows
   -

      Login, goto account page, Logout
      -

      Login, goto account page, change password, Logout, Login with new
      password

   -

   Service Requests
   -

      Aquire Refresh Token
      -

      Aquire Access Token

Are there any (knwon) potentially expensive operations that are not obvious
that should be tested in particular?

(in simulating a real-world load with high user counts, for example, are
there any particularly expensive operations where a high user count would
noticeably impact performance?)

What is the best way to initialize Keycloak (e.g. backed by a PostgreSQL
database) with varying (arbitrarily large) numbers of users, in order to
get realistic performance numbers?

Given that creating XX,000 users via the REST API might take some time, is
it enough to simply generate 10,000 * X records in the UserEntity table?

Cheers,

Thomas

[0] https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/tree/master/testsuite/stress
[1] http://gatling.io/