[keycloak-user] Problems using Keycloak for SSO

Christoph Guse info at flex-guse.de
Mon Aug 29 13:36:25 EDT 2016

Hello all,

I'm quite new to Keycloak, identitymanagement, Oauth2 and OpenID connect
and I think I haven't understood all mechanisms yet.

Currently I'm working on a proof of concept using Keycloak as Web-SSO
service. In my poc I have

- a Wiki application connected to Keycloak using SAML
- a spring-boot application (csrf is disabled as the UI brings it's own
csrf mechanism) using the community spring-boot adapter

In both applications the login works using Keycloak, both applications
work, resources can be loaded and so on. SSO works, after logging in
into the spring-boot application the Wiki application can be openend in
another browser window without having to reauthenticate. So far, so good.

But in my poc I want to embed the spring-boot application into the Wiki
application. Without authentication this works as the UI used in the
spring-boot application uses a virtual DOM which can be created on a
Wiki page.

Unfortunately this does not work with authentication using Keycloak.
After the login in the Wiki the Javascript in the Wikipage is not able
to load the JS from the spring-boot application for the virtual DOM
(HTTP 401,  bearer token = "unknown").

I am wondering how Keycloak does the SSO as I was not able to see any
parameter in the HTTP requests which are something like the Keycloak
token ID. Can somebody explain - or give a hint where to find a detailed
explanation - how the token handling is done so I can figure out if
something is missing while accessing the spring-boot application?

Thank you in advance,
Christoph