[keycloak-user] Persisting User Sessions in the DB?

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 01:54:46 EDT 2016

On 29 August 2016 at 16:54, Jared Blashka <jblashka at redhat.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the link to that JIRA. I had seen it before and wanted to find
> it again before emailing the list but couldn't find it.
>
> I had some questions about the proposed solution.

What's described in the issue is just an initial brain dump and we haven't
looked into it in much detail yet. Feedback and suggestions are most
welcome :)

> In the propsed solution, Keycloak creates a session cookie first visit the
> page and updated when the user first authenticates. How does the load
> balancer sitting in front of Keycloak understand which Keycloak host
> corresponds with a given session cookie? Our current load balancers set a
> sticky session cookie with a node name as the cookie value.

Not sure - If Keycloak creates the cookie the name should most likely be
configurable (maybe even the value?!). If the LB creates the cookie we'd
need an option to make Keycloak pick that up instead of creating its own.

> Following up from that question, how would this solution work with
> multiple load balancer layers? We have a global load balancer that
> distributes traffic at a per data center level and then load balancers
> within each data center.

Not sure - would that normally have two separate cookies?

> Finally, it sounds like this solution would only work for clients that use
> the keycloak adapters? We're going to have to integrate with third-party
> vendors in the future and can't dictate how they write their applications.
> Even outside of that, we also have internal customers that own
> python/perl/rails applications and couldn't use a Keycloak adapter even if
> they wanted to because there aren't adapters available for those platforms
> yet.

Pretty sure there's no standard way of doing this as there's nothing in the
code-token or refresh-token requests that can be used.

An alternative mechanism I had in mind was that we'd allow Keycloak servers
to talk to each-other to delegate requests to another node. Would that work?