[keycloak-user] access_token always contains JWT

Paul Blair pblair at clearme.com
Mon Feb 8 14:22:48 EST 2016

+1 on this, but I understand the time constraints.

From: <keycloak-user-bounces at lists.jboss.org<mailto:keycloak-user-bounces at lists.jboss.org>> on behalf of Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com<mailto:bburke at redhat.com>>
Date: Monday, February 8, 2016 at 12:22 PM
To: "keycloak-user at lists.jboss.org<mailto:keycloak-user at lists.jboss.org>" <keycloak-user at lists.jboss.org<mailto:keycloak-user at lists.jboss.org>>
Subject: Re: [keycloak-user] access_token always contains JWT

Yes.  We want that.  Just too busy :)

On 2/8/2016 12:16 PM, Scott Rossillo wrote:
Opaque access tokens are an interesting idea for security reasons. I've heard them referred to as "by reference" access tokens because the actual JWT access token has to be stored somewhere. The OpenID spec doesn't address this but it's a solid idea for access tokens exposed to external applications, which do not need to be concerned with, or possibly shouldn't be privy to the information inside the token.

There's another option that may be more manageable. That is to offer a per client option of encrypting the access token, known as JWE, or JSON Web Encryption[0]. The basic idea is that the signed token is then encrypted with a symmetrical key. This key would probably be a realm level key. Another benefit or JWE is the access token payload is compressed, making the access token shorter.

Is this something we would be interested in adding support for?

[0]: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-jose-json-web-encryption-40

Scott Rossillo
Smartling | Senior Software Engineer
srossillo at smartling.com<mailto:srossillo at smartling.com>