[keycloak-user] Is it mandatory for adapter version to be same as the keycloak version?

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Jan 5 11:04:35 EST 2016

On 05/01/16 16:46, Mai Zi wrote:
> Hi, there,
> Suppose we have a wildfly app server with adapter 1.11 version, will
>  talk to keyclok 1.7.0 final ,  is it possible ?
Not sure I understand. 1.11 Keycloak version is not released yet, the
latest keycloak version is 1.7.0. And adapters are released together
with Keycloak server, so latest adapter version is 1.7.0 as well.

> In other words, do we need to upgrade the adapter to  1.7.0 ?
Theoretically it will work and you will be able to use Keycloak 1.6.0
adapter with Keycloak 1.7.0 server. However we are not testing this
scenario AFAIK. There might be some fixes in protocol, token format etc,
which will cause that adapter version X won't work with Keycloak server
version X+1 . In other words, it's always safer to use same version of
keycloak server and keycloak adapter.

> If this case , our wildfly is 8.0, it is safe to use the latest 1.7.0
> adapter?
Yes, we have wildfly8 adapter. See
"keycloak-wf8-adapter-dist-1.7.0.Final.zip
<http://www.redhat.com/j/elqNow/elqRedir.htm?ref=http://downloads.jboss.org/keycloak/1.7.0.Final/adapters/keycloak-oidc/keycloak-wf8-adapter-dist-1.7.0.Final.zip>"
under
http://keycloak.jboss.org/keycloak/downloads.html?dir=0%3Dadapters/keycloak-oidc%3B

Marek