[keycloak-user] Different theme for each client

Travis De Silva traviskds at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 21:25:28 EST 2016

On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 at 01:52 Scott Rossillo <srossillo at smartling.com> wrote:

> Isn’t this whole idea of client specific themes just going to confuse
> users? Think about logging into Google. Mail, calendar, drive, etc., all
> share the same login screen and are all SSO clients. Wouldn’t you be
> confused if it looked different for each app? Either way you’re
> authenticating with Google.  If you want to customize the consent screen
> for external clients, that makes a bit more sense but it should be done in
> a very standard way, like allowing a custom logo per external client you’re
> authorizing. If you completely re-theme the consent screen even, you’re
> going to confuse users IMO.

If the suite of applications/products as per your Google example is
provided from one vendor/development group, then yes. In that case we can
use what KeyCloak has at present.

But in corporate environments, you have hundreds and sometimes thousands of
applications built by different groups/teams/vendors and they all don't
look the same. In these environments, users most of the time use one or two
as their primary application and occasionally might want to access another
one in which case SSO will kick in and they don't need to login again. So
there is really no confusion as they will always login to their primary
application which is themed as per their application and when they go
across to another application, it just automagically logs them in due to
SSO.

Another point is that when new application projects are kicked off in the
corporate world, they will want to style/theme UI's as per the latest
design standards or features. In such cases, if we go and theme it using
the new standard, that will also change the existing applications that are
running on KeyCloak and anyone who has worked in a corporate world knows
how much of a pain point that is as you need to then engage various
business owners of the exiting applications, come up with end user
communication plans and so on. If we have theming at a client level, then
we can progressively or to use the current buzz word "in an Agile" manner,
ensure that new applications look new with new UI standards and not have to
worry about existing applications at least until those applications are
migrated.

Apart from the above "corporate world" example, there are examples where
this can be useful in consumer facing SaaS type of applications as well. It
just gives more flexibility to end developers of applications that utilise
KeyCloak.