[keycloak-user] Basic auth and Authentication popup

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Tue Jun 14 04:54:40 EDT 2016

Hi,

The main point of Keycloak is to provide SSO for browser based apps.
BASIC authentication is currently supported just for REST endpoints, so
no authentication popup. And it's generally not recommended. So if you
have opportunity to redesign and avoid BASIC authentication and
authentication popup, that would be the preferred way IMO.

Otherwise if you really need BASIC authentication with the popup, then
it will be better to avoid use Keycloak adapter at all in your WAR.
Instead you can likely use Tomcat JAAS realm and configure the Keycloak
JAAS login module (probably DirectAccessGrantsLoginModule) -
https://keycloak.gitbooks.io/securing-client-applications-guide/content/topics/oidc/java/jaas.html

Marek

Not sure why you want authentication popup?