[keycloak-user] Running Keycloak on OpenShift in its own gear

Rens Verhage Rens.Verhage at topicus.nl
Thu Mar 10 14:38:04 EST 2016

Maybe I haven’t fully grasped the concepts behind OpenShift. I’d like to run my application in the OpenShift cloud and secure it with Keycloak. My application is already running, using 2 gears. 1 gear has the web-app running in WildFly 10, the 2nd gear hosts the PostgreSQL database.

I tried adding Keycloak by adding a cartridge to my application like this using https://github.com/keycloak/openshift-keycloak-cartridge:

rhc add-cartridge http://cartreflect-claytondev.rhcloud.com/github/keycloak/openshift-keycloak-cartridge

This results in the following error:

The cartridge 'http://cartreflect-claytondev.rhcloud.com/github/keycloak/openshift-keycloak-cartridge' will be downloaded and installed
Adding http://cartreflect-claytondev.rhcloud.com/github/keycloak/openshift-keycloak-cartridge to application ‘my_app' ... jboss-wildfly-10 already exists in your application

It seems logical to me to run my application in WildFly on one gear and Keycloak, also on WildFly, on a second gear. What is best practice to add Keycloak to an existing OpenShift application, also running on WildFly? Should I deploy Keycloak in the same WildFly instance?

I know the next question is off topic in this list, but I’ll ask it anyway. If I cannot deploy two cartridges based on the same ‘base cartridge’ within the same app, how does OpenShift scale up my application? Isn’t that the same thing?

Regards,
Rens Verhage