[keycloak-user] Fallback to secondary federation provider possible?

Josh Cain josh.cain at redhat.com
Tue May 3 12:19:23 EDT 2016

Hi all,

We're attempting to stack a number of FederationProviders, and I was
wondering if Keycloak currently does, or plans to support falling back to a
secondary provider *after* another provider has already been used.

For example, consider a realm with two providers configured:

   1. ProviderA, Priority 0
   2. ProviderB, Priority1

Where ProviderB is a fall-back mechanism containing the same logical
userbase as ProviderA.
If *user1* logs into Keycloak and is associated with ProviderA, then
ProviderA goes down, we'd ideally like for ProviderB to be able to
authenticate the user.  Right now, all our Keycloak instance does is
attempt to authenticate *user1* with ProviderA, then fails if the provider
is unsuccessful.  Is there a way to failover to ProviderB should ProviderA
become unavailable?

Josh Cain | Software Applications Engineer
*Identity and Access Management*
*Red Hat*
+1 843-737-1735