[keycloak-user] Fallback to secondary federation provider possible?

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Tue May 3 12:29:37 EDT 2016

We don't have anything like that.  Keycloak assumes that username is
unique in a federation.  Before validating credentials it goes through
federation list.  The first provider that finds a user of that username
will have credentials validated against it.

So, no failover.  I'm not sure i that's something Keycloak should be
responsible for.  I'm open to adding it though.

On 5/3/2016 12:19 PM, Josh Cain wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're attempting to stack a number of FederationProviders, and I was
> wondering if Keycloak currently does, or plans to support falling back
> to a secondary provider *after* another provider has already been used.
>
> For example, consider a realm with two providers configured:
>
>  1. ProviderA, Priority 0
>  2. ProviderB, Priority1
>
> Where ProviderB is a fall-back mechanism containing the same logical
> userbase as ProviderA.
>
> If /user1/ logs into Keycloak and is associated with ProviderA, then
> ProviderA goes down, we'd ideally like for ProviderB to be able to
> authenticate the user. Right now, all our Keycloak instance does is
> attempt to authenticate /user1/ with ProviderA, then fails if the
> provider is unsuccessful.  Is there a way to failover to ProviderB
> should ProviderA become unavailable?
>
> Josh Cain | Software Applications Engineer
> /Identity and Access Management/
> *Red Hat*
> +1 843-737-1735

Bill Burke