[keycloak-user] Keycloak in production. Use MongoDB or an RDBMS flavour?

Ton Swieb ton at finalist.nl
Tue May 10 08:18:47 EDT 2016

Hi,

I understand from the Keycloak documentation that both MongoDB and
multiple flavours of RDBMS are supported, but I cannot find any
recommendation whether to use MongoDB or an RDBMS by default.

Which one is best suited for the Keycloak product?
I am anticipating a user base of around 10000 users (mainly via
Identity Brokering), will use offline tokens and use Keycloak as an
Identity Broker for a SAML IdP. I am starting from a green field
situation and do not have any restrictions on using a specific DB.

I found a comment of Bill Birke on the Keycloak developer
mailing-list, http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/keycloak-dev/2015-July/004924.html,
wishing he could drop Mongo and not seeing any advantages of using
Mongo, but unfortunately the thread does not end with a
conclusion/decision :-)

What is the current position of the Keycloak team about using Mongo?

In which scenario should I consider using MongoDB over an RDBMS or
vice versa? There are off course the usual pro/con's between NoSQL and
RDBMS, but I would like to know to what extend they hold true when it
comes to using Keycloak in production or whether Keycloak is optimized
specifically for NoSQL or RDBMS.

Regards,

Ton

--