[keycloak-user] How to apply updates to keycloak instances

Scott Rossillo srossillo at smartling.com
Fri May 20 13:43:07 EDT 2016

We’re using Keycloak on production, stage/QA, development environments and every developer’s workstation / laptop.

While there will always be differing options on how to successfully do change management, we’ve found a very effective method for handling Keycloak provisioning in all environments so that developers don’t need to mess around with. We’re a continuous integration / deployment shop using micro services and everything has to “just work” … I’ll give an overview of our process here but please keep in mind a few things:

1. This approach works for us, I’m not saying it’s the best way
2. We do _not_ allow production config changes to be automated due to security implications
3. We're very opinionated in our approach to configuration management and we don’t ever modify 3rd party software databases directly. We always use APIs.

We deploy Keycloak to all environments using Docker images. On developer workstations we use Docker Compose to orchestrate bringing up all services a developer may need, including Keycloak.

We have 4 docker images for Keycloak:
- Keycloak Base
   \- Keycloak HA
   \- Keycloak Dev
- Keycloak config manager*

The base image includes all customizations necessary to bring up a Keycloak instance configured with our modules and themes installed.
The HA instance builds off base and configures Keycloak to run as a cluster node. This is used on stage and prod.
The dev instance builds off base and includes our realm file. On startup, this instance loads our realm configuration if it’s not already loaded.

All docker images are built and published by the CI server and Keycloak HA can be deployed to stage and prod after a clean CI build.

Developers are free to add clients for testing, do whatever they want, etc. to their running dev instance. If they want to get back to our stock build, they pull the latest Docker image from our private Docker repo and restart it.

Adding clients to stage and prod requires approval and is done by a hand. This is for security reasons. Once a configuration change is detected on stage - say a client is added - our CI server exports the realm from stage, changes the realm keys, and creates a new Keycloak Dev instance with the updated realm file.

*A word about configuration management:

Obviously, the realm file we generate knows the URLs of staging services, not local or development environment URLs. To overcome this we introduced another Docker based service called the Keycloak configuration manger. It runs on development environments and workstations. It’s responsible for discovering running services and updating Keycloak via its admin endpoints to reflect the proper configuration for the given environment.

That’s it. The whole process is automated with the exception of configuration changes to stage and prod which require a security review.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you’d like me to elaborate on anything.

Best,
Scott

Scott Rossillo
Smartling | Senior Software Engineer