[keycloak-user] How to apply updates to keycloak instances

Stian Thorgersen sthorger at redhat.com
Thu May 26 02:27:14 EDT 2016

On 26 May 2016 at 02:15, Jesse Chahal <jessec at stytch.com> wrote:

> @Stian
> The approach described sounds similar to liquibase to me but with json
> and specific to keycloak. I feel like a lot of possible bugs could
> arise from this approach or at least quite a few feature requests.
> Would each json file only contain a single change? Would order matter
> in how they get applied if you put a bunch of json files in this
> directory at once? Can the same file be applied multiple times? These
> are the kind of issues I would expect to come up with this type of
> change management system. When I mentioned write our own tool/script
> to do it I was kind of thinking of a writing a liquibase like system
> that calls keycloak's rest api.

We haven't figured out all the details, but what you are proposing sounds
better. A single document that lists all changes, that can also import
other files, sorts out the ordering and we could add same type of ids as
Liquibase does to changesets.

You could write it to use the rest api, then use a separate db to store
what changes have been applied, but would be better if Keycloak deals with
been applied.

One big issue is what happens if manual changes are done through the admin
console. One though (although probably very tricky to get right) is that
changes done through the admin console is added to the changeset.

> @ Scott
> If I would compare the solution you mentioned to one of the options I
> listed in my original question  "I've also considered writing my own
> updater tool using a scripting language (python/ruby) that calls
> keycloak's rest api." The worrying thing to me is that there is
> another piece of code that needs to maintained by our company and
> requires quite a bit of knowledge of keycloak's rest api. There would
> probably need to be some serious thought put into the architecture of
> the tool as well. Without a doubt it does provide the most control. We
> also live by a different methodology in regards to updating production
> clusters. From our perspective it is more of an issue to update
> manually as it becomes much easier to miss a step or in someway screw
> up if steps are performed manually. I'm not sure what the security
> implications would be from it occurring automatically, especially if
> during each step there is thorough testing (including from a security
> team). For our CI/CD pipeline our goal is to have it so every commit
> can automagically end up on production without human intervention.
>
> Currently we use a combination of an initial realm file to be included
> on startup and also use jq to modify the keycloak-server.json for new
> keycloak clusters. We don't need to generate realm or client keys as
> it is included in the initial realm file. That doesn't work for
> existing systems backed by a database that cannot be thrown away. That
> kind of leave me with the original option (and hardest) of "write a
> proprietary liquibase like system built ontop of keycloaks rest api".
> This is a hard problem to solve

Why proprietary? If we can agree on a design we'll happily accept a
contribution and maintain it as well.