[keycloak-user] Losing some sessions during clustering

Chris Hairfield chairfield at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 13:08:51 EDT 2016

Hello Keycloak users,

We're seeing strange behavior with the session handling when starting up a
new node. Keycloak doesn't retain all sessions. Here's our experiment:

   1. start with 1 node containing a few dozen sessions
   2. start node 2 (nodes clustered via JGroups Ping table + infinispan)
   3. wait for 10 minutes
   4. stop node 1

End result: *some* of the clients connected are forced to log back in. Most
sessions remain.

We're still investigating, so I cannot infer beyond this point at the
moment. I'm simply curious whether anyone knows the following:

   - are *all* sessions meant to be migrated to new nodes?
   - how long does it take to migrate sessions?
   - does a new node wait until sessions are migrated before it enables the
   admin interface?
   - is there any logic to prune sessions on clustering?

Thanks,
Chris