[keycloak-user] Migration from Picketlink IDM

Thomas DELHOMENIE thomas.delhomenie at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 05:07:12 EDT 2017

Hello,

We currently use PicketLink (in a quite old version : 1.4), especially the
IDM part. As Picketlink is a dead project, we are evaluating alternative
solutions, which naturally led us to Keycloak. I have some questions :
* I understand that Keycloak must be run as a server, but isn't there a way
to embed only the User Federation capability in an application (so not in
server mode) ? We basically need to be able to manage users/groups,
aggregate them from multiple sources (LDAP, AD, custom data store, ...) and
expose them in our API. That's what we did with Picketlink IDM, but I am
not sure it is feasible with Keycloak.
* we provide the capability for the administrators of our application to
configure their users and groups storages, by configuration. Is it still
possible with Keycloak or can this only be done via the admin console ?

Regards,
Thomas