[keycloak-user] ProviderFactory::postInit + transactions = startup failure

Dmitry Telegin mitya at cargosoft.ru
Mon Jul 3 07:01:01 EDT 2017

Hi Marek,

Thanks for the hint, looks very reasonable. I think the
PostMigrationEvent approach is more suitable for heavyweight stuff like
checking and creating database entries etc., while lazyInit is good for
more lightweight tasks like opening connections etc.

However, there's an interesting case when the postInit method is called
on hot (re)deploy (no PostMigrationEvent obviously) *and* some
heavyweight stuff needs to be done right away. (ATM postInit is not
called on hot deploy, but I hope that will be fixed soon, see KEYCLOAK-
5131 and PR #4282.)
Luckily, in this case transactions just work, so everything could be
done straightforwardly. The only question is how to distinguish between
server startup and hot (re)deploy inside postInit. There are some
indirect signs like thread name, presence/absence of specific JNDI
entries etc., but this seems hacky. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Dmitry