[keycloak-user] Idle connections are not closed

Кир Мерзликин kirmerzlikin at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 17:25:07 EDT 2017

Hi Bill,

Yes, I have read a lot of documentation articles and manuals regarding
datasource configuration today.
Basing on this material, I've created following config, which should work
as I want:

- - - - - - - - -
<datasource jndi-name="java:jboss/datasources/KeycloakDS"
pool-name="KeycloakDS" enabled="true" use-java-context="true">
        <connection-url>jdbc:mysql://blah.cleardb.net/blah?user=
blah&password=blah</connection-url>
        <driver>mysql</driver>
    <pool>
        <min-pool-size>1</min-pool-size>
        <max-pool-size>10</max-pool-size>
    </pool>
    <timeout>
        <idle-timeout-minutes>1</idle-timeout-minutes>
    </timeout>
    <validation>
        <validate-on-match>true</validate-on-match>
        <valid-connection-checker class-name="org.jboss.jca.
adapters.jdbc.extensions.mysql.MySQLValidConnectionChecker"/>
        <exception-sorter  class-name="org.jboss.jca.
adapters.jdbc.extensions.mysql.MySQLExceptionSorter"/>
    </validation>
</datasource>
- - - - - - - - -

But the fact is that idle connections are still able to live to 90 seconds
limit, instead of 1 minute.

My suggestions was that connection was not closed by some Keycloak code and
then returned to the connection pool, where it wasn't considered idle and
was not "closed" (terminated).

Could you please share your thoughts on this?

Thanks.

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 9:14 PM, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com> wrote:

> You'll have to dive into Wildfly/JBoss EAP datasource configuration
> documentation.  I know there are a multitude of connection pool switches
> you can specify.
>

> On 7/13/17 10:03 AM, Kir Merzlikin wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I deploy Keycloak server app to Cloud Foundry and use ClearDB service as
> > relational database for Keycloak.
> >
> > ClearDB has a restriction, that it closes all connections, that are idle
> for
> > 90 seconds.
> > To not run into the situation, when Keycloak tries to use closed
> connection,
> > I've added following datasource configuration (based on  Pivotal
> > recommendations
> > <https://discuss.pivotal.io/hc/en-us/articles/230433268-
> Suggested-Configuration-for-Connection-Pools-using-ClearDb>
> > ):
> >

> > But even after applying this configuration I see in the ClearDB
> management
> > console that idle connections are closed only after 90 seconds and not
> after
> > 60 seconds (1 minute) as it's specified with "idle-timeout-minutes"
> > parameter.
> >
> > So, have anybody of you faced similar situation? Or maybe you have some
> > ideas why these idle connections are not being closed.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> > --

С уважением,
Мерзликин Кирилл