[keycloak-user] Configuring keycloak with JSON instead of UI

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Wed Mar 1 05:05:05 EST 2017

On 01/03/17 07:04, Sarp Kaya wrote:
> I have been experimenting with import/exports more.
> Essentially my end goal is, I want to get the JSON of the changes that I have done on UI so that I can import it to other Keycloak instances in other environments. For instance I can do my changes on test environment and then just import them to production environment, without manually doing these changes through UI.
>
> In terms of exporting it seems like only command line option exists. In terms of importing, there is an import via UI and import via command line.
>
> Command line import doesn’t really work if the realm already exists. You can opt in to overwrite existing realm; but that actually removes the entire realm with the users; where the old users are not retrieved back.
>
> Importing via UI, seems like this can be done with two options, first one is via create realm; which works perfectly fine.
>
> However, if I have an existing realm, and I want to overwrite some changes, then it only works for clients, IDPs, realm roles and client roles. For instance, if I were to enable brute force detection, there is no way to import this setting to an existing realm.
>
> So this is basically what I want to accomplish. I want to be able to copy changed UI configurations to another keycloak instance, so that I would avoid manual UI configurations.
>
> Next thing I will be trying is to see if this endpoint for updating configuration works:
> http://www.keycloak.org/docs-api/2.5/rest-api/index.html#_update_the_top_level_information_of_the_realm
Yes, that should work. You can load the realm JSON from the old server
and then use the update endpoint you mentioned and import the realm
configuration to the new server.

You can create JIRA to request updating realm configurations via
export/import without deleting existing users. But not sure when we fix
that (if you not send PR by yourself :).

So doing it via REST is likely better option.

Marek