[keycloak-user] Theming applications by customers

Nicolas Gillet nicolas.gillet at market-ip.com
Fri Mar 10 09:02:34 EST 2017

Hello Stian

Thank you for the quick reply.

I saw that issue when google-ing about Keycloak theming.

It would indeed be helpful for us but doesn’t fully fit our need.

Some of our customers use several applications of ours. For each application, they currently have a separate account. (cumbersome for them)
For these customers, we create branding of our applications, these branding are then also replicated in the different applications (cumbersome for us)

I think an example may be helpful
Let’s say we have a blue customer and a green customer as well as an app1 and an app2.

Our blue customer will use www.app1.blue.com<http://www.app1.blue.com> and www.app2.blue.com<http://www.app2.blue.com>
Our green customer will use www.app1.green.com<http://www.app1.green.com> and www.app2.green.com<http://www.app2.green.com>

Both app1.blue.com and app1.green.com are the very same application “app1” (same IP, same server, same database)
Same goes for app2.blue.com and app2.green.com that are the very same application “app2” (IP, server, DB) separated from “app1”

The login pages of the applications are aware that the domain is “green” or “blue” and then display a blue or green branding.

With Keycloak “app1” and “app2” will be “clients” in a realm (as far as I understand it).

To be able to display the correct color to the correct customer, I see no other solutions than creating a “blue” and a “green” realm (+theme) duplicating the configuration of clients “app1” and “app2” in both realms.

So, I was wondering if there exists a way in Keycloak to avoid this duplication and still offer unified branding across different applications.

Kind regards,

Nicolas GILLET

Market-IP – Creating Mobile Intelligence