[keycloak-user] rolling upgrade

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Fri May 26 00:39:42 EDT 2017

Hi,

no we don't have support for this. You would need to possibly do it
manually in more steps like:

1) Copy your DB to some other location (eg. my-db2)
2) Stop one of cluster nodes (eg. node1), update it and start against
new my-db2. Make sure it's started in isolated cluster. I think this can
be done by tweaking "-u" property to use different multicast address
though. Also make sure that loadbalancer requests will ignore it
3) Once node1 is started against updated database, you can point your
loadbalancer to use it.
4) Then you can stop other cluster nodes and start them against "my-db2"
and to join same cluster like node1

Not sure, maybe the process can/needs to be different according your setup.

I see the biggest issue is, that there is time window between steps 1-4,
which can cause DB inconsistencies. For example your new updated DB will
be "my-db2", but at the time when node1 is starting and updating this
DB, there may be new writes to the original DB. For example some user
may register or updating his account in the meantime. Those updates will
then be lost.

Marek