[keycloak-user] Is bearer token auth supported in commonly used REST client libraries?

Vlastimil Elias velias at redhat.com
Thu Nov 9 08:27:37 EST 2017

Hi,

is bearer token auth method supported in commonly used REST client
libraries (eg. RESTEasy and HttpClient in java)? I tried to google
around this, but no success. I was not able to find anything useful
(except stuff implemented inside of Keycloak Admin Client).

You know, http basic auth and ssl client cert auth is commonly available
and (relatively) easy to use, so it is widely used. I believe good, easy
to use, support of bearer token auth in client libraries is crucial to
drive adoption of this technology, including OpenID Connect protocol,
which then can drive use of Keycloak itself.

By "good, easy to use, support" I mean things like automatic obtaining
of access token based on the config (using OIDC "Client Credentials
Grant" and "Direct Access Grants"), its automatic renewal, and automatic
use of this token in REST calls performed by the client library, without
any complicated coding.

Any references to existing libraries? Any plans in Keycloak project itself?

Vlastimil

--
Vlastimil Elias
Principal Software Engineer, Middleware Engineering Services