[keycloak-user] Admin client backward compatibility issue (2.5 -> 3.2)

Skorupa, Sascha Sascha.Skorupa at rwth-aachen.de
Mon Oct 23 03:07:40 EDT 2017

Hi all,

we have currently a problem with upgrading to keycloak 3.2.1. All our clients use keycloak admin client 2.5.5 and it seems that they do not work with server 3.2.1 without setting JsonIgnore property somehow. The reason is the new "access" property in UserPresentation class. It is in general hard to migrate to newer keycloak versions if there are changes that are not backward compatible.

The issue is similar to https://issues.jboss.org/browse/KEYCLOAK-5159 but vice versa. Here the proposal is to migrate server side first.

We try to fix our clients by setting a JacksonProvider with a custom object mapper to the KeycloakBuilder but unfortunately same behaviour. (like here https://github.com/keycloak/keycloak/blob/master/testsuite/integration-arquillian/tests/base/src/main/java/org/keycloak/testsuite/util/AdminClientUtil.java)

Does anyone have an idea how we can solve it ?? Upgrading clients is not an option at the moment because we use wildfly swarm and the keycloak fraction is still on 2.5.5.

Cheers,
sascha