[keycloak-user] Reset Actions vs. Required Actions

Richard richie765 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 25 12:03:22 EDT 2017

I'm a bit confused about the use of "Reset Actions". They look very
similar to Required Actions except that an email is sent to the user.

Most possible use-case scenarios can probably be done best with Required
Actions. In that case the user doesn't get an email and has to do the
action on next login.

I noticed that it works even before login (when I signed out and clicked
on forget password the actions came up). What's the reason for that, or
is that a bug?

The only use I can think of is, when an account is created from the
admin console and the admin wants to inform the user about it. In that
case a reset password email would + required actions would serve that
purpose. If that is the main intended purpose, I think the function is
not very clear and intuitive to use.

Also, the Reset Actions cannot be seen anywhere after the email is sent.
I would expect that they would be visible in the Required Actions.

It's not very well documented, so perhaps someone can tell a little more?

-- Richard