[keycloak-user] Spring Boot/Keycloak IE11 compatibility

Kuestermann, Thomas Thomas.Kuestermann at sabre.com
Thu Oct 26 04:28:03 EDT 2017

Folks,

We're currently developing a Spring Boot [1] application that uses Keycloak & Spring Security [2] for authentication and authorization. Everything fine so far, the Keycloak login page is displayed when the user accesses the application. I feel a bit ashamed, but it had to happen at some point: We need to support the beloved IE11, yay! What happens with IE is that the login page is not displayed as a HTTP 401 is returned to the browser instead of a HTTP 302. I tracked it down to "org.keycloak.adapters.springsecurity.authentication.HttpHeaderInspectingApiRequestMatcher" checking for the MIME type "text/html" in the HTTP Accept header. Unfortunately, my IE sends something like this in the request:

    Accept: application/x-ms-application, image/jpeg, application/xaml+xml, image/gif, image/pjpeg, application/x-ms-xbap,*/*

According to the Mozilla Docs [3], MIME type "*/*" matches everything including "text/html" required by the request matcher.

My question is the following as it is easy to work around and fix: Is it worth filing an issue with Keycloak? I also feel confident enough to provide a pull request.

Regards,
-- Thomas

[1] http://www.keycloak.org/docs/latest/securing_apps/topics/oidc/java/spring-boot-adapter.html
[2] http://www.keycloak.org/docs/latest/securing_apps/topics/oidc/java/spring-security-adapter.html