[keycloak-user] Enabling High Availability for Keycloak 3.1.0 on AWS ECS Instance

Hynek Mlnarik hmlnarik at redhat.com
Thu Sep 14 07:05:00 EDT 2017

In AWS, UDP multicast (default discovery method in the
standalone-ha.xml config) is not possible [1]. You need to use S3PING
or some other method for node discovery. [2]

[1] https://aws.amazon.com/vpc/faqs/#Routing_&_Topology
[2] https://developer.jboss.org/message/849585#849585

On Thu, Sep 14, 2017 at 12:32 PM, Jyoti Kumar Singh
<jyoti.tech90 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Team,
>
> I am trying to enable high availability for Keycloak 3.1.0 on AWS ECS
> instances.
>
> I am running two ECS instances in a cluster setup and also I have
> setup Keycloak
> in a clustered mode. To achieve this, I am using "
> */standalone/configuration/standalone-ha.xml *" file while building the
> docker image. Shared MySQL DB and Load Balancer setup are also in place.
>
> But when I checked Keycloak logs I am not seeing clustered nodes related
> information in logs. I am seeing nodes are not able to see each other. But
> same settings are working fine in DCOS Marathon platform.
>
> Interestingly if I run two Keycloak instances in one AWS ECS instance on
> different ports, I could see clustering related logs in Keycloak.
>
> Is there any standard guidelines which I can follow to achieve HA in AWS
> ECS instance ?? I followed the below discussion thread but it didn't  help
> me to fix the issue.
>
> #Link:
> http://lists.jboss.org/pipermail/keycloak-user/2016-February/004940.html
>
> --