[keycloak-user] keycloak-cli.bat failed to connect to the controller with SaslException DIGEST-MD5: Server rejected authentication

Sébastien Vandamme sebastien.vandamme at telemis.com
Tue Apr 3 07:01:43 EDT 2018

 Hello,

I am in the process of installing Keycloak 3.4.3.Final and customize it
using scripts. I reuse scripts that I used on Keycloak 2.5.1 with success
but, on the new version, I run into strange problems.
All the command that I run that start with

keycloak-cli.bat --connect --controller=localhost:9990 --user=root
--password=somePwd

doesn't work anymore and displays the following error

Failed to connect to the controller:
Unable to authenticate against controller at localhost:9990:
Authentication failed: all available authentication mechanisms failed:
DIGEST-MD5: javax.security.sasl.SaslException: DIGEST-MD5: Server
rejected authentication

When I run the same command without the credentials

keycloak-cli.bat --connect --controller=localhost:9990

the connection work and I see

[standalone at localhost:9990 /]

When I connect directly via the browser on the url localhost:9990, it ask
me for a login and a password, I enter the ones given in the first command
and I can connect without any problem.

I read a lot of stuff on similar problems on the web but nothing solved my
problem. For example, my remoting configuration, that was a problem in some
case, seems right

<subsystem xmlns="urn:jboss:domain:remoting:4.0">
    <endpoint/>
    <http-connector name="http-remoting-connector"
connector-ref="default" security-realm="ApplicationRealm"/>
</subsystem>

In short, I'm stuck.
Does someone has any idea to help me ?

Thank you in advance for your help,