[keycloak-user] Is keycloak the tool I'm looking for? selective AD user sync

Dmitry Telegin dt at acutus.pro
Tue Aug 7 09:08:28 EDT 2018

Hi Francesco, sorry for late response,

Well, seems you've got quite a soup of different applications, and
bringing Keycloak in control of *all* of them may be quite challenging.

First, you'll need to understand what Keycloak is and what it is not.
Keycloak is an SSO (Single Sign-On) and IAM (Identity and Access
Management) solution intended for securing web applications (but not
limited to them).

This is done with the help of OpenID Connect and SAML protocols. So the
first question you'll need to answer is: which applications already
support this, or could support with minimal efforts?

I think that Redmine and NextCloud fall into this category.
OIDC/SAML enabling is usually done by the means of some
adapters/plugins/extensions, or whatever this might be called in the
target app's terms. So this should become number one on your list.

AD integration is completely different stuff. This is called user
federation, and its purpose is to combine several external user data
sources into a single, unified virtual one. AFAIK, there is no OOTB
mechanism to define which external AD the newly created user should go
to. But what we love about Keycloak is its ultimate extensibility, so
I wouldn't rule out the possibility of implementing this with the help
of an extension.

GSuite, in its turn, is completely standalone here. AFAIK it supports
only Google's authentication, and doesn't allow to delegate it to 3rd
party services (or does it?) One of the possible variants is using Okta, but it:
1) actually works as a password manager,
2) installs a browser plugin,
3) requires commercial subscription.

Hope this helps, and good luck with Keycloak!

Dmitry Telegin
CTO, Acutus s.r.o.
Keycloak Consulting and Training

Pod lipami street 339/52, 130 00 Prague 3, Czech Republic
+42 (022) 888-30-71
E-mail: info at acutus.pro