[keycloak-user] Cross-DC Replication not working for `sessions` cache

Sebastian Laskawiec slaskawi at redhat.com
Wed Aug 8 09:07:39 EDT 2018

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 3:28 PM Hayden Fuss <hfuss at bandwidth.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are attempting to run Keycloak on two OpenShift clusters using remote
> ISPNs and a single MariaDB instance. We're hacking together the Keycloak on
> Openshift blogpost, the JDG-as-a-service demo from Summit, RH SSO demo from
> Summit, and following the Keycloak/RH SSO basic setup guide to Cross-DC
> replication. The hope is do an initial evaluation of Keycloak's
> availability.
>
> We were able to create a new user on master (site1), disable the user on
> master2 (site2), and see the user was disabled on master. So ISPN
> replication seems to be working because the work cache was replicated to
> invalidate the local caches. However, the sessions cache does not seem to
> be replicated because when logged in as the same user on the two different
> Keycloaks (in Incognito mode) there is only one active session shown on
> both UIs and the timestamp/IP/etc is different for the listed session.

So at this point the Infinispan cluster within a single DC works correctly
[1] (the one that is formed by KUBE_PING). The Cross-DC cluster (also known
as the Global Cluster) also works correctly [2]. Users cache replicates
fine but sessions don't.

If I understood everything correctly, there might be two issues there.

The first one is Infinispan misconfiguration (I briefly looked through the
configuration and can not spot any mistake but there might be some typo or
anything like that). That one is easy to be verified, just put an entry on
one node (e.g. using REST [3]) and see if it's available on the other one
(again, using REST for example [4]).

If this test works fine, you can check if Keycloak forwards traffic to the
Infinispan cluster. The easiest way is to set a breakpoint somewhere
in org.keycloak.models.sessions.infinispan.changes.sessions.LastSessionRefreshChecker#shouldSaveClientSessionToRemoteCache
and org.keycloak.models.sessions.infinispan.changes.sessions.LastSessionRefreshChecker#shouldSaveUserSessionToRemoteCache.

[1] can be verified by calling `oc logs infinispan-app | grep view`
[2] can be verified by calling `oc logs infinispan-app | grep "x-site"`
[3] curl -d test ISPN_IP:8080/rest/sessions/test
[4] curl ISPN_IP2:8080/rest/sessions/test