[keycloak-user] How to create a realm using the admin client

Marko Strukelj mstrukel at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 10:12:56 EST 2018

You can achieve that by using Admin CLI (for example - if you have exported
a demorealm.json using boot time export, you can import it into a live
server as follows):

$ kcadm.sh create -r demorealm partialImport -s ifResourceExists=FAIL -o -f
- < demorealm.json

Basically you POST the demorealm.json as a body to
http://localhost:8080/auth/admin/realms/demorealm/partialImport

And you add additional attribute into realm JSON body ("ifResourceExists":
"FAIL").

If you only want to add extra things into existing realm, you can use
"SKIP". And there is also "OVERWRITE" which you probably want to avoid.