[keycloak-user] Multiple 'standalone' in k8s setup

Rudresh Shashikant rudreshsj at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 04:09:06 EST 2018

Hello hivemind,

I have deployed keycloak at the moment with the following setup:

- kubernetes in openshift
- 1 pod
- RDS (postgres) for database
- standalone mode
- not across data centre

I was exploring the possibility of avoiding single point of failure by
simply increasing the number of pods in openshift to 2 or 3 (note, each
instance is still in standalone mode). I tested this by increasing the
number of pods and ensuring the logs of all the keycloak pods are
registering access when I hit the service endpoint with my web browser.
Since they are identical replicas of one another, they will all communicate
with the same RDS (postgres) endpoint on AWS.

The above setup works for me as a proof of concept, ie., im able to login
and refresh multiple times to ensure load balancing etc is working across
keycloak pods. yay!

But I wanted to do due diligence and RTFM [
http://www.keycloak.org/docs/latest/server_installation/index.html#_operating-mode]
upon which I found there was information on how to run in standalone-ha
mode and many others as well. This is where the confusion sets in.

Isn't Keycloak stateless? Wont the above setup work for me? is there any
known issues I will run in to with the above setup (all standalone). What
is the need to run in standalone-ha mode given the context of my above
deployment environment?

Appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction or help provide
some answers.

Thanks!

Regards,
Rudy.