[keycloak-user] Bulk user import recommendations

Scott Hezzell Scotthezzell at benefex.co.uk
Sun Jun 3 15:24:37 EDT 2018

Hi

Keycloak 3.4.0 - running 5 instances in containers using standalone clustered mode running against postgres.

I am looking for the recommended approach to bulk user imports into keycloak. I initially hoped to use the admin api but I am looking at having to import batches of up to 80,000 users and initial tests look to top out at just under 40 requests per second. At that throughput it will take 33 minutes to import a set of 80,000 users.

Is this an expected throughput level? Any techniques to increase this?  Any alternative techniques?

I thought about inserting directly into the keycloak postgres db but I am concerned about the upgrade experience.

Could implementing my own user store and adding my own custom user storage provider, enabling me to import directly into my own db and implementing defined interfaces for the user storage provider so hopefully help the upgrade path, be an option?

Are there any migration options I could take advantage of?

Many thanks

Scott

 [Benefex Logo]

Scott Hezzell
Senior Developer

hellobenefex.com<https://www.benefex.co.uk>
[https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/commsmedia-bucket/images/benefex/social+LinkedIn.png]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/hellobenefex> [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/hellobenefex>

Benefex Ltd, Mountbatten House, Grosvenor Square, Southampton, SO15 2JU. Registered Number: 04768546
As the sender of this email, we hope that you are the intended addressee and that you are having a nice day. Please take a moment to note that this message may contain information that is confidential or privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If this wasn't meant for your eyes, please do take the time to let us know and delete this message from all data storage systems. You should also note that the disclosure or copying of this email, or the use of its contents, is prohibited. Thank you!