[keycloak-user] UMA PAT clarification

Balazs Kovacs balazskov at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 03:12:07 EDT 2018

Hi Pedro,

Thanks for your response.

I think the trade-off you described makes perfect sense. However, I also
would like to understand how the identity of the resource owner is conveyed
by the RS to the AS. From the UMA spec, an example resource creation on the
Protection API looks accordingly:

POST /rreg/ HTTP/1.1 Content-Type: application/json
Authorization: Bearer MHg3OUZEQkZBMjcx
{
   "resource_scopes":[
      "read-public",
      "post-updates",
      "read-private",
      "http://www.example.com/scopes/all"
   ],
   "icon_uri":"http://www.example.com/icons/sharesocial.png",
   "name":"Tweedl Social Service",
   "type":"http://www.example.com/rsrcs/socialstream/140-compatible"
}

If the RS can do resource protection requests by a PAT that it obtained via
the client credentials method (and not on users' behalf), through what
request attribute does the AS learn which resource owner's data the RS is
talking about? In the end the AS needs to assign each registered resource
(by RS) to a user account as owner, right? Do maybe the 'resource owner
password grant' and the 'token exchange' you mentioned above help on that
by having owner identity in the PAT in these cases? What grant type to use
for this 'token exchange' method?

Br,
Balazs