[keycloak-user] Create realm from java admin client with access token vs username+password

Nhut Thai Le ntle at castortech.com
Fri Mar 9 12:07:47 EST 2018

Thank you for your suggestion and the link. Since i am making a stand alone
java app to create realms dynamically, i'm using the Keycloak admin-client
and authz-client in my code. As suggested in the document, i set Access
Type to Confidential, turned on Service Account Enabled and assign
create-realm role to service account for admin-cli client in the master
realm.
My code is pretty straight forward:
String realmName = "Realm5";

    Map<String, Object> adminCliSecret = new HashMap<String, Object>();
    adminCliSecret.put("secret", "3b7122d9-1fe0-4417-9407-33818153c7fa");
    Configuration adminClientConfig = new Configuration();
    adminClientConfig.setAuthServerUrl("http://localhost:8180/auth");
    adminClientConfig.setRealm("master");
    adminClientConfig.setResource("admin-cli");
    adminClientConfig.setCredentials(adminCliSecret);

    AuthzClient authzClient = AuthzClient.create(adminClientConfig);
    String serviceAccountAccessToken =
authzClient.obtainAccessToken("admin-cli",
"3b7122d9-1fe0-4417-9407-33818153c7fa").getToken(); //GET 401 HERE
    createNewRealm(realmName, serviceAccountAccessToken);

I got 401 when trying to get the access token, seem like the AuthzClient
uses grant_type=password instead of client_credential. However, there is no
method to set grant_type for the AuthzClient.

Is the AuthzClient not supposed to be used to get access token for Service
Account ? If it's not then is there other client i can use or i have to
issue http request manually ?

Thai