[keycloak-user] Securing tomcat-based web applications without using container-security(i.e. without using filters, constraints and valves)?

Luis Rodríguez Fernández uo67113 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 12:29:28 EDT 2018

Hello Manfred,

mmm, OK, I see. We have an application that I do think that match your
scenario: https://phonebook.cern.ch In this one only one resource is behind
a security-constraint, the singin link: /phonebook/secure/sso This trigger
the login request to our identity provider. This one challenges the user,
and after authentication the response with the user information is sent
back to the application. With this information the application creates the
java.security.Principal objects.  Then the application's  code can make
checks like this one:

java.security.Principal principal = request.getUserPrincipal();
if (principal != null) {
   if(request.isUserInRole("THE_ROLE"){
      .../...
   } else{
      response.sendError(SC_FORBIDDEN)
   }
} else {
.../...
}

In this way you are relying in the standard servlet specification making
your application completely independent of keycloak or any other identiy
and access management you use and portable.

Afterwards nothing stop you from use the keycloak APIs to get any user data
you need. Me, for example, in my applications I get all the user data (e.g.
telephonenumber, department) from
the org.keycloak.adapters.saml.SamlPrincipal

The good and old examples application that comes in any tomcat distribution
is a great place to start. On this specific issue you can have a look at
$CATALINA_BASE/webapps/examples/jsp/security/protected/index.jsp

Hope it helps,

Luis