[keycloak-user] Data filtering in SQL

Byrd, Rob M rmbyrd at dstsystems.com
Thu Nov 8 14:44:00 EST 2018

Thanks Dmitry and Pedro,

Pardon my simple-minded response below, but I am wondering how these specific items would work?  Dmitry, yes I agree your GET /projects/<project> and GET /projects scenario is on point for the issue – I hope my questions below can further clarify the discussion.  Here, I will have to make a “go or no-go” decision in about a week. ☺  I would love to take on the challenge of searching for the “holy grail” in this, but atm will need to figure out what Keycloak (or OPA, etc.) can confidently do today.

Thanks for the great discussion and continued help!

Questions
1) Simple role-based authorization policy seems doable.

  *   Ex: “Only veterinarians are allowed to read pet profiles.”

2) But how to answer once more context is needed, such as one resource’s affinity to another?  Literally how does the application figure it out?  Like the below example would need a pet-veterinarian mapping resolved somehow, it seems:

  *   “Only the treating veterinarian is allowed to read a pet’s profile.”

3) Keycloak has taken an example of “Pet owners can access their own pet’s profiles.” and said we can write policies saying that "Only Owner" can access "/api/petservice/pet/{id}".  But how does the policy engine figure out who is the owner of /pet/2 vs /pet/3?
4) Similarly, an OPA blog https://blog.openpolicyagent.org/write-policy-in-opa-enforce-policy-in-sql-d9d24db93bf4 gives the example where “Only the treating veterinarian is allowed to read a pet’s profile, and only when signed in from a device at the pet’s clinic”.  Again, it is easy enough to provide the OPA engine the target pet and the current device location, but how exactly is it determined who is the treating veterinarian of that pet and what clinic the pet belongs to?
5) In general, the security difficulty is constraining what a user can see/do in a particular feature, so how exactly would a policy engine bring back a subset of records that particular user can see (based on their affiliated company, etc.)?
6) Similarly, how exactly would a policy engine bring back all records but not the fields a user should not see (such as employee salary field, unless the user is a HR VIP)?  These last two could be likened to @PostAuth post-filtering in spring security.

Rob Byrd
DST
Solutions Lead
SS&C Technologies Inc.   |   1055 Broadway, Kansas City, MO 64105
t: (816) 435-7286  | m (816) 509-0119
rmbyrd at dstsystems.com<mailto:rmbyrd at dstsystems.com>  |  www.ssctech.com<http://www.ssctech.com/>