[keycloak-user] Creating new user throws error when using AWS Simple AD

Robin Kearney robin at kearney.co.uk
Wed Oct 17 17:06:23 EDT 2018

Hi,

I've got Keycloak 4.5.0.Final setup to talk to an AWS instance of
their Simple AD - which is Samba 4 behind the scenes. Connectivity and
authentication works ok, as does the initial sync all users.

However, when I create a new user through Keycloak, I get an error
"Error! Could not create user" in the UI and the following logs:

keycloak_1  | 20:45:52,571 WARN
[org.keycloak.services.resources.admin.UsersResource] (default
task-17) Could not create user: org.keycloak.models.ModelException:
Could not modify attribute for DN
[cn=example12,CN=Users,DC=ad,DC=example,DC=com]

keycloak_1  | Caused by: javax.naming.NameNotFoundException: [LDAP:
error code 32 - 00002030: No such Base DN:
cn=example12,CN=Users,DC=ad,DC=example,DC=com]; remaining name
'cn=example12,CN=Users,DC=ad,DC=example,DC=com'

The full stack trace is here

https://gist.githubusercontent.com/rk295/a8ada3cd79212e73d2e55215e4d53e34/raw/37aac21a5c7dd3d3423aa9ae2456068c2c1170ec/keycloak-error.log

What is interesting is the user is created successfully in LDAP.

ldif https://gist.githubusercontent.com/rk295/0bde9a03f057dea09ea08f7f0050785e/raw/7dc63b208d95dc2160ed8cdbed87d55e52fb4b53/key-example.ldiff

However in this ldif, is the following fields show "IA==" rather than
the value I entered (example12 in both cases)

sn:: IA==
givenName:: IA==

I have both the firstname and lastname mappers setup to map the
following fields:

usermodel attribute firstName -> ldap givenName
usermodel attribute lastName -> ldap sn

Both setup with RO false, always read from LDAP true, is mandatory
true, is binary false.

If I hit the button to resync changed (or all) users, the user shows
in the Keycloak admin, but the fields above missing.

Hope somebody can help!

r.