[keycloak-user] How do you handle authorization and authentication in Microservices?

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Fri Mar 22 06:37:23 EDT 2019

OPA is a great tool. And generic enough to cover different use cases.

But I'm wondering how it may become complex when you start to duplicate
your security aspects such as roles, groups, etc, in your policies. Besides
how it behaves when you need to integrate with identity sources such as
LDAP and databases to fetch information that you may need in your policies.

Back to your question, I would suggest you to take a look at Keycloak
Authorization Services feature set. It basically provides a PAP, PDP in
addition to policy enforcers for different platforms such as JEE, Spring
Boot, NodeJS and JS. It is fully based on token based authorization where
permissions are carried by tokens to their respective audiences. It is also
based on resource-based authorization where access control is based on the
resources (and their respective scopes) you are protecting. It is a more
flexible model since you don't need to rely on specific roles or groups but
the real thing you are protecting.